Big things in small package
M240i xDrive Coupe start at $48,580.00
Is the BMW M240i xDrive Coupe all new for 2022?
Yes, the 2022 marks the second generation for the 2 Series Coupe. It’s offered in two forms, rear-wheel drive 230i and the all-wheel- drive, M240i xDrive. Although the platform is slightly larger it still competes in the subcompact luxury car segment No manual or convertible option…for now at least. It’s was released for US sales in November 2021.
Series 2 Coupe Trim levels
The Series 2 coupe is offered in two trim levels:
- 230I Coupe
- M240i XDrive (as tested)
The M badge is given to the sportiest trim level. BMW claims the M240I’s performance features are inspired by BMW Motorsports. I can’t help but wonder if that means more performance awaits this new generation in the future?
What is theM240i xDrive Coupe warranty?
- 4-year/50,000-mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty
- 12-year /Unlimited-mileage Rust Perforation Limited Warranty
- 4-year Unlimited Mileage Roadside Assistance Program
What engine comes with the M240i xDrive Coupe?
3.0 liter TwinPower Turbo Inline 6-cylinder
The 230i is powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine making 255 horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque with 0-60mph in 5.5 seconds. My test car, the M240i produces 382 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque. BMW claims 0-60mph in an impressive 4.2 seconds.
Both cars are mated to an 8-speed Sport Automatic transmission with automatic Sport and Manual shift modes.
What are the interior features of the M240i xDrive Coupe?
Contemporary, but classic BMW, driver focused interior. It is a luxury segment after all, so I did enter with a certain expectation. There is a strong balance between sport and luxury and neither disappoint. Very comfortable for front passengers, and although it’s a four seater I would probably consider it more of a 2+2 as rear space is limited.
Also as expected no weakness in technology. As standard equipment an 8.8-inch infotainment display and a 5.1-inch driver information screen. BMW Live Cockpit Plus featuring the iDrive 7 operating system is included and offers navigation, real-time traffic, connected apps, and over-the-air updates. The 2 Series also comes with two USB ports, a Wi-Fi hotspot, a one-year SiriusXM satellite radio subscription, and wireless connectivity for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
How does the BMW M240i xDrive Coupe?
I have two perspectives to answer this question:
As a fairly tall, family man, Let’s be honest, it is not a family car and the purpose of the car is no where near that focus. However, test driving the car for a week did require that I use it for dropping off two of my kids at school. A week was an easy sacrifice compared to the thrill the car delivered, but not quite sure it’s worth it for the long term. The rear seats are a great feature for practicality given it is a sports car.
As a car enthusiast, this is where it all comes together. We are so blessed BMW is still filling the gaps for all enthusiasts. The car is pure fun, and dare I say overpowering (if such thing actually exists). It never got old switching from ‘comfort’ driving to ‘Sport Plus’ driving mode, the car transforms. It is an immediate and obvious change. You feel it in the suspension, transmission, and engine exhaust note, and it’s exhilarating. Unfortunately, the car’s limits exceed what I can test on the public roads. I really look forward to hopefully testing on the track someday.
Cars have become larger and larger over the years. Everything this car represents is very rare these days. BMW has out done themselves with the M240i. I honestly don’t mind the fact there is no manual transmission option, the car makes up for it in so many ways. Plus this automatic transmission is so good! It’s definitely a big thing in a small package. A perfect blend of sport, luxury and affordability. Thank you BMW!
M240i xDrive Coupe Features as tested
M240i xDrive Coupe Mechanical Features
- 3.0L BMW M TwinPower Turbo Inline 6-cylinder, 24-valve engine with variable valve control (Double-VANOS and Valvetronic) and high-precision direct injection
- 8-speed Sport Automatic transmission
- M Sport Differential
- Driving Dynamics Control with various driving modes
- xDrive all-wheel drive system
- Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Dynamic Control (DTC)
- M Sport, 4-wheek venilated anti-lock disc brakes (ABS) with Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) and Comering Brake Control (CBC)
- Advance M Suspension
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Compatibility
- Remote Software Upgrade capable
- Connected Package Pro features Real-Time Traffic, On-Street Parking info (select cities) and BMW Remote Services
- Multi-zone Climate Control
- Power moonroof
- Rain-sensing windshield wipers
- Power front sport seats including driver seat memory
- Front and rear Head Protection System (HPS)
- Seat-mounted front side-impact airbags
- Knee airbags for driver and front passenger
- Active Driving Assistant feature Frontal Collision Warning, Active Blind Spot Detection, and Lane Departure Warning
- LED Headlights
- Front and Rear Park Distance Control and Rear-view Camera
*Features available with M240i xDrive Coupe
For more information about the bmw M240i xDrive Coupe: